A pioneer Hereford breeder, who in the early period of his life, discontinued cattle breeding operations to devote his energies to the welding of Hereford breeders into a strong Canadian organization.
In 1889, H.D. Smith started farming on his father’s 920-acre estate in Compton County, Quebec. The Hereford herd established at that time was destined to supply the seed stock for many of the herds that were formed about the turn of the century.
In 1906, Mr. Smith moved to a much smaller farm, located near Ancaster, Ontario, from which point he carried on as a Hereford breeder until 1915, when he was appointed secretary of the Canadian Hereford Association.
Prior to this appointment he served two terms as president of the association; one between 1890 and 1901, the other between 1911 and 1914.
The period that he served as secretary was characterized by a remarkable increase in the number of Hereford breeders and Hereford cattle in Canada. Undoubtedly much of this expansion was due to his efforts in directing the policies of the association.